Monday, July 19, 2010

When the menalcholy fit shall fall...

Today, I miss someone.
I have that feeling when you miss someone so much that your heart aches simply because of their absence. Like a small piece of yourself is gone because they aren't with you. It's a lonely place. Sometimes even when I'm surrounded by other people it's lonely. The subject of my loss cannot be replaced or substituted with other people. No one compares. I feel numb and listless and I don't know what to do with myself.

This is too melancholy, I think. Too sad. I feel like my heart's lying open for all to see. That's a bit of a scary thought. But sometimes the posts I hesitate to publish are the best. The scary, worried-what-everyone-will-think posts. They're also the ones I'm most proud of, most attached to and usually the most challenged by.

I think this will be rather short today because instead of my head being full to the brim, it's rather devoid of anything interesting or important. Not completely empty, just inexplicable.

Speaking of melancholy, I leave you with:

Ode on Melancholy

by John Keats
No, no, go not to Lethe, neither twist
Wolf's-bane, tight-rooted, for its poisonous wine;
Nor suffer thy pale forehead to be kiss'd
By nightshade, ruby grape of Proserpine;
Make not your rosary of yew-berries,
Nor let the beetle, nor the death-moth be
Your mournful Psyche, nor the downy owl

A partner in your sorrow's mysteries;
For shade to shade will come too drowsily,
And drown the wakeful anguish of the soul.
But when the melancholy fit shall fall
Sudden from heaven like a weeping cloud,
That fosters the droop-headed flowers all,
And hides the green hill in an April shroud;

Then glut thy sorrow on a morning rose,
Or on the rainbow of the salt sand-wave,
Or on the wealth of globed peonies;
Or if thy mistress some rich anger shows,
Emprison her soft hand, and let her rave,
And feed deep, deep upon her peerless eyes.

She dwells with Beauty - Beauty that must die;
And Joy, whose hand is ever at his lips
Bidding adieu; and aching Pleasure nigh,
Turning to poison while the bee-mouth sips:
Ay, in the very temple of Delight

Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine,
Though seen of none save him whose strenuous tongue
Can burst Joy's grape against his palate fine;
His soul shall taste the sadness of her might,
And be among her cloudy trophies hung.

(Make of this what you will. I don't quite get all of it myself.)

Note to Lydie: I don't know if this post matters so much, since you don't know me in the 'real' world. The fear I speak of is maybe not so bad here as with my regular readers, some of whom I do know in the real world. You know how you know people in life, and you think you know *who* they are? Well, really you don't. My posting this for people that I know, peels away layers of who I am that some of them don't know. That's the scariest thing. Being brave enough to show my real self. I've been challenged about that lately. Including the fact that I write with the pseudonom FR, or as I sometimes think, my 'other self';) Really, that bothers me sometimes. But that is a whole post on its own. I'll elaborate on the subject at a later date. Till next time...

4 comments:

  1. *sighs happily* I love posts that make me want to comment. There's so much here to think about..

    Hey, I just looked at the date of your post and realised that I haven't looked on your blog for a looong time. See, you're a faithful reader but I'm pretty unfaithful. [eek]. I'm sorry. Especially because you included a note for me [that's so special!].

    A big part of the reason I haven't been blogging recently is because I've been in a foule fit of melancholie.
    This is the part I really understand and sympathise with:

    "It's a lonely place. Sometimes even when I'm surrounded by other people it's lonely. The subject of my loss cannot be replaced or substituted with other people. No one compares. I feel numb and listless and I don't know what to do with myself."

    Yes. That's almost precisely what I've been feeling recently. It's like you've entered into a gray world and left the sunshine behind. And you don't see things around you, or at least I didn't. Little things that would have cheered you before don't have any comfort. Your mind feels empty, hollow. You wonder whether life as a rule gets better for people who feel like they've lost part of themselves, or whether that's just fairy tale nonsense..

    ha, my rant. But yes, I understand! Also, I understand about feeling that other people can't substitute what you've lost.

    Ahh.. yes. Writing down thoughts like you've written here feels like you're actually giving a part of your soul for people to read. And that's a strange thing to do. Difficult, since you have to battle with your mind in order to do it, I've found..
    - 1) your mind usually makes you act in accordance with how you want to be perceived by people
    - 2) you worry about what they'll think of you if you write down what you really feel

    Actually, I reckon those are flimsy excuses for not writing the truth. I decided [yesterday, actually!] that life's short, so we might as well be honest about ourselves.

    Wow. Epic comment! That shows that your post was thought-provoking; thank you for sharing your thoughts.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, you haven't written for ages! I want to read more.. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry, it has been a long time since I've written anything. I did say though that I wouldn't be nearly as frequent in my posting as you! In spite of my lack of posts, I still get around to keeping up with your blog. Even though comments have been sparce. It takes half the amount of effort to read as to write. At the moment I'm not really in the headspace to write very meaningful and thought-provoking things - so I just haven't written anything. I loved, loved, loved your epic comment! Maybe it will be the nudge I need to think of something amazing and inspired to write about. In fact, I have an idea, just need to find the time...

    My goodness, there is so much to think about what you said! I'm so glad you understand. It's not that I'm a depressed person (not in the least) but sometimes there are times when life is shades of grey and loses it's luster for a time...I understand.

    I love that one comment ended with :) and the other :( Hopefully this will be recieved with a :) and hopefully it will be followed by another comment because I will have gotten around to writting something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm soo excited, I just had a couple of sudden thoughts: "I really miss FR! I haven't seen her on my blog for so long!" and "Maybe she'll have written something on her blog!" So I haven't read the blog posts yet, but I will. Yay! :)

    ReplyDelete